3,694 square meters of frescoed walls in 8 places, by the hand of 6 artists along 95 years of history in a single city: Padua. These are the numbers of the serial site “Padua’s fourteenth-century fresco cycles”, registered on UNESCO World Heritage List on July 24th, 2021.
Padua UNESCO frescoes of the fourteenth century are configured as an articulated, complex and unitary whole. Like a large museum spread, they represent different pages of a single story of Padua's life of the past, preserved in symbolic places in the history of the city: the Scrovegni Chapel; Church of Saints Philip and James in the Eremitani; Palazzo della Ragione; Baptistery of the Cathedral; Chapel of the Carrarese Palace; Basilica and Convent of Sant Antonio, Oratory of San Giorgio and the Oratory of San Michele. Visiting Padua Urbs picta means enjoying a vivid cross-section of the society and art of Padua in the fourteenth century, going through space and time of this city that has welcomed great scientists and artists of the past.
The coexistence of art and science in the history of Padua is also testified by the Botanical Garden of the University of Padua, created in 1545, which is the oldest in the Western world that still retains its initial form and location, also appointed UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1997. The Paduan Botanical Garden was a fundamental step forward for the history of medicine and botanical science and also an illustrious example of the aesthetic canons of the Renaissance for the architecture of gardens.